Wednesday, May 27, 2015

A Blank Slate


This is a room in our new condo, a blank slate.  Since my last post I have been busy transforming it.  It has been an amazing amount of work.  We spent six months packing up our belongings.  Everything had to be removed from the closets, the cupboards, the pantry, the basement, the garage.  Every drawer had to be emptied and the pantry had to be stripped bare.  We packed hundreds of boxes.  We loaded up four trucks.  That was the first half of the job.  Then we got to the condo and had to reverse everything.  Unload, carry, unpack, organize, arrange furniture, paint, hang pictures, etc., etc., etc.

We are both exhausted.  We are not finished.  We still have too many boxes that need to be unpacked.  At first I was able to unpack the boxes as fast as the movers brought them in, finding places to put the contents.  Too soon though, I ran out of places to put things.  Too many boxes are still in the way, full of things for which we haven't found places.  Every day I tackle another box, deciding what to give away and what we need.  Then I have to use my imagination, ingenuity and creativity to expand storage capacity.  We need more shelves and cabinets.  Today I assembled a four shelf storage unit for the laundry room.  I have ordered a very skinny cabinet to fit into a tight space in the kitchen to make a pantry.  We can't use over the door racks here because the doors are eight feet tall.  However, I have found some that can be nailed to doors and one that is extra long.

The first room I tackled was the kitchen.  It's very nice.  I love the gas stove and the under cabinet lighting lighting.


However, it's smaller than I'm used to so I have been challenged with where to put all of my equipment and staples.  I have done all right, though, and have already have guests for dinner three times!

Our garage is still full of boxes to be unpacked.  It's going to take a while.  But at least it's livable now, and beginning to feel more like home.  In days to come, I will post some photos of some of the finished rooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment