Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Emotion Overload

The kitties!


Little Blondie, Spot and Little Sister


Little Sister, Mama and Little Blondie



Big Blackie


Little Blondie and Big Blackie


Little Black Kitties


The whole gang



The igloos

I cried last night.  My husband Mike called to tell me the people buying our house did the walk-through yesterday, and they want the kitty igloos out of the yard.  They aren't interested in caring for the feral kitties as we have done for almost ten years.  I was naively hoping they might care for the kitties as we have.

The same family bought our house and the house next door at the same time.  It's a multi-generation living arrangement.  The ladies next door loved the kitties as much as we did.  But they had to move when they had a new house built.  They needed a one story house and were able to design all the features they need.  So, now a new family will be living in both houses.

I cried when I realized they won't care for the cats.  I know I was being naive, how could I expect new people to worry about the feral cats we had cared for?  The reality hit me hard.  What would happen to the kitties?  A very kind lady two houses down agreed to let Mike bring the igloos to their yard so they wouldn't be discarded.  She has also agreed to feed them if we provide the food.  She has two young daughters who are excited about feeding the cats.

Since we moved away in April, I have been paying a sympathetic cat sitter to come and feed them each day as she was on her rounds in the neighborhood.  She loved the kitties so much that after a while she told me she didn't want to be paid.  We sent her money for the food.  Now we are going to provide food to our kind neighbor.  The sympathetic cat sitter says she will help, too.

I spoke to my former next door neighbor on the phone today.  She was happy to hear that another neighbor will feed the kitties.  She said she cried last night, too.  I just hope it all works out for the best.

Update:  The kind neighbor, two doors down with two little girls who like cats, just sent me a text with a photo showing her daughter holding a dish of food for the cats.  Then she sent me a picture of the cats eating at her yard.  She says she will send me updates.  I'm so glad there is someone to care for them.

2 comments:

  1. Tears here, too, Judy.
    What a painful process... and yet maybe a solution is rising.
    That kind neighbor sounds very kind, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness for the kind people in the world.

    ReplyDelete