Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Am I A Grumpy Old Woman?

I fear I may be becoming a grumpy old woman.  As a young woman, I was happy and easy to get along with.  I recently found an old letter I wrote to my parents when I was in my 20s.  I sounded so cheerful and friendly that it took me by surprise.  It seems that age has taken a toll on me.  I find myself wishing for the "good old days" when the world was less complicated and I felt comfortable in it.

In this new century I am feeling less and less confident and in control.  Everyday life seems harder.  I am constantly frustrated by all digital things that always call for a user name and a password.  It's a chore just to watch television now.  Most things I use now require a charger, so I have to keep track of which charger comes with which device, then I have to remember to carry them around with me if I leave the house.  Simple things that bug me:  I can no longer cradle the phone under my neck when I need both hands; I can't tell when my husband is speaking to me or to his head phone.  I don't even know what Blue Tooth is.  Or Blue Ray.  I get mixed up between VHS, VCR, DVR, DVD and CD.  Which runs what, and what equipment does it run on?

I am falling behind.  Young people know all these things and deal with them easily.  I find myself needing help to get through most days.  Checking accounts online.  Credit cards online.  Streaming online.  Don't get me started about cell phones.  They can be very convenient, but figuring out data plans, how to use iTunes and how to remember a password every time you want to buy an app is a pain.  Just when you figure out how to do something they change it and you have to "upgrade" and start all over again.  I have to carry my password book with me everywhere, and heaven forbid it is lost or stolen.  I would be out of business.  Also, you can't find a person to talk to on the phone anymore. If you have a problem you have to speak to a machine and try to make it understand.

Everything is online these days, and if you don't know what you are doing it can make you crazy.  I have been known to cry and rant and range in frustration when something doesn't work.  My husband has noticed.  Sometimes he asks me why I have such a negative attitude.  That makes me sad because I used to be such a happy person.  I remember when life was simple and I could figure things out without help.  I don't want to be a grumpy old woman!


1 comment:

  1. I too have had problems with those things - once I got locked out of my phone and had to call Apple and go to icloud.com and locate my phone & erase it...that was something! Overall, I do like my cellphone and being able to read books on the Kindle app, wherever i am.

    ReplyDelete